Terror struck New York City once again last night, as a 29-year-old radical Islamist mowed down pedestrians in a truck on a popular bike path. Eight people were killed, 12 others injured. The killer, Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, left behind a note for officers to find.
From NBC News:
Eight people were killed and about a dozen more were injured Tuesday when a motorist in a rented pickup truck deliberately drove down a bike path in lower Manhattan and mowed down several people before crashing into a school bus. Officials said it was a terrorist attack — the deadliest in New York City since Sept. 11, 2001.
The man hopped out of the truck and shouted “Allahu Akbar,” or “God is great,” before firing a BB or pellet gun, four senior law enforcement sources told NBC News. A police officer on patrol in the area returned fire, hitting the suspect in the abdomen and ending the Halloween horror less than a mile from the World Trade Center.
“This was an act of terror and a particularly cowardly act of terror,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a briefing. “We know this action was intended to test our spirit.”
The suspect was identified as a 29-year-old Uzbek immigrant named Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, who entered the United States in 2010, law enforcement officials said.
CNN says the jihadist left a note behind for cops to find:
The suspect was identified by two law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation as Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov. He’s from Uzbekistan in Central Asia but had been living in the US since 2010, sources said.
Authorities found a note claiming the attack was made in the name of ISIS near the truck used in the attack, a senior law enforcement official said.
“This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said, “aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them.”
WARNING*** Video may be too graphic for some…
H/T: Right Scoop