Back in August 2017, President Trump announced that he and First Lady Melania Trump would skip the Kennedy Center Honors.
It was a smart move.
Why would he attend an event where he’d be constantly bashed by the left?
President Trump will skip the annual Kennedy Center Honors this year to allow the “artists to celebrate without any political distraction,” the White House said Saturday.
Three of the five artists set to be honored had either expressed a specific intent to boycott the traditional White House reception before the event or were said to be considering it.
“First Lady Melania Trump, along with her husband President Donald J. Trump, extend their sincerest congratulations and well wishes to all of this year’s award recipients for their many accomplishments,” said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in a statement.
Ratings fell to an all-time low without 45 in attendance.
CBS’ broadcast of Kennedy Center Honors clocked its lowest ratings result in people-meter history, dating back to 1987. The Tuesday 9-11 PM broadcast fumbled 28% of last year’s 8.620 million total viewers, to 6.169 million. The demo dive: 30% from last year’s 1.0 rating to 0.7. The 2006 telecast ran on the same Tuesday, December 27, though the extra day between the broadcast and Christmas might have benefited last year’s broadcast by separating it further from holiday distractions and travel.
The broadcast should have been a ratings humdinger, marking, as it did, the ceremony’s 40th anniversary and John F. Kennedy’s 100th birthday. But, for the first time in two decades, the President of the United States did not attend the ceremony, saying he and the First Lady were giving it a miss “to allow the honorees to celebrate without any political distraction” – which, loosely translated, means Donald Trump is not in perfect harmony with the arts community.
Trump brings ratings. That’s the bottom line.
Better luck next year?